NoPeanutsPlease is an independent blog.

All views, opinions and conclusions are solely those of the author and do not imply endorsement or recommendation by any other party.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

You Ant Be Serious!?

I bought ant traps today after I found 20 little ants enjoying a slice of watermelon on our kitchen counter last night. I figured that the warning to keep them away from the kids was due to boric acid. Turns out that these traps 'may' contain peanuts so the boric acid is the least of our concerns. I learned today that many pest control traps use peanut butter as bait ... who knew that people with a peanut allergy needed to be wary of ant traps?

I am not super alarmed from the research I have done but I think it might be best to use boric acid in my beloved Sunbutter instead of the peanut butter ant traps.

My target is the ants ... not my daughter.

3 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama said...

OH.MY.Word. I never would have guessed. Thanks for sharing that info.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the information! I just read your article in the new Allergic Living Magazine and was impressed by your comments and dedication to your daughter's allergy. My daughter starts Kindergarten on Friday and I am a bit nervous - especially when I called the school for their allergy policy and was told that, "they belive in empowering our students to manage their own allergy." Which makes me furious since my daughter cannot yet read, is feeling shy about asking about nuts, and would be asking other kids who are 5 and 6 and not able to read let alone be reliable historians of the ingredients in their food!!
But, about the ants. I also live in Van and understand there is an epidemic this year with them. We use boiling water over the nests (outside) which is pretty environmentally friendly. They also follow 'scent trails' and bleaching or using chalk around their trails disturbs them and confuses them.
Hope that helps.

Erin said...

Hi I just found your blog via the Allergic living Magazine too. Great article. My 6 year old son also has an anaphylactic peanut allergy and almost died 3 years ago. Having a life threatening allergy can be quite isolating, it is nice to know that there are other people out there who understand!

As for Rebecca's comment above make an appointment with the school principal to discuss your daughters allergies. No 5 year old child should be expected to manage their own allergy. Check out this link by the canadian school board it was very helpful for me when I met with my sons principal.
http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/English/Adobe/anaphandbook.pdf