NoPeanutsPlease is an independent blog.

All views, opinions and conclusions are solely those of the author and do not imply endorsement or recommendation by any other party.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Do Eggs Make YOU Sick?

I thought I would share an interesting conversation that our 2 1/2 year old daughter had with her 2 year old friend. They were playing with our daughters' kitchen set. We have about 100 plastic food items and as they played our daughter picked up a plastic fried egg. The first time she saw the egg she asked us what it was. I was struck by that because we used to eat eggs every day but once we learned of her allergy we began to phase eggs out. She had never seen an egg!

As they played, our daughter turned to her friend and said ... 'eggs make me sick. Do eggs make you sick'? Her little friend had no idea what she was talking about.

I found this interesting because the day before I had explained to our daughter that not everybody gets 'sick' when they eat peanuts or eggs. I told her that though she can drink milk, other kids get sick when they drink milk. The point was that not everybody was allergic to peanuts, but there were things that were safe for her that others could not enjoy.

The concept of food allergy is very confusing for a two year old. Our daughter is starting to understand and it is fascinating to observe her as she scrambles up the food allergy learning curve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to leave a note because I really like the blog. You have so much great information here for parents facing food allergies.

Because you clearly have a great deal of experience caring for a child with food allergies, I wanted to let you know about our new site, WEGO Health. Our site identifies, ranks and organizes the most helpful health and wellness content online and makes it easy to access by everyone.

I'd love to talk to you more about what we're doing at WEGO and particularly about the allergy content we have on the site, please feel free to email me at: mariec@wegohealth.com