NoPeanutsPlease is an independent blog.

All views, opinions and conclusions are solely those of the author and do not imply endorsement or recommendation by any other party.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Peanut Butter Bagel

This story is the exact type of story that parents fear. An 18-year-old girl from Colorado ordered a "spinach parmesan bagel with veggie lite cream cheese" and ended up getting a surprise! "Cross-contamination from a knife that had been used to spread peanut butter, got wiped off, then was used to spread the cream cheese on Lauren's bagel." Upon eating the bagel Lauren felt somewhat ill but it was not until she started tennis practice that she felt hives on the bottom of her feet and was rushed to hospital.

The owner was great in the handling the situation. He was surprised that despite all of his precaution and care, the young girl came into contact with peanut protein and went into anaphylaxis. He has since removed peanut butter from the store to play it safer. Kudos to him for responding so positively and quickly to this situation.

No comments: