NoPeanutsPlease is an independent blog.

All views, opinions and conclusions are solely those of the author and do not imply endorsement or recommendation by any other party.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunbutter Returns

I know many of you are sitting at the edge of your seats just waiting for the latest update on my quest for Sunbutter. I was disappointed when Stongs no longer carried Sunbutter and I took to the Internet to find a new source. With a peanut allergy in our house Sunbutter is the closest thing I will get to my beloved organic peanut butter.

The issue locally is that only specialty stores carry Sunbutter and they charge way too much. Online I could get it for about $5/jar, landed cost.

But this weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find Sunbutter on the shelves at Stongs again! I was way more excited than I should have been. Stongs carries it for $3.99 so not only is it easier, it's cheaper.

For now I am back in action. Stay tuned ...

4 comments:

wenat said...

Woo hoo! I'm running low on the Trader Joe's sunbutter that my US friend sent to me, so I'm off to Stong's this week to get more to tide us through the holidays. Thanks for the tip!

Gab said...

So do you give your daughter sunbutter or is it just so you can get a fix? :) I'm afraid to even have it in the house - I don't want my daughter getting confused. Maybe when she's a bit older...

NoPeanuts said...

I ate peanut butter and eggs every morning for breakfast ... the irony is not lost on me. I do not let Madeleine have Sunbutter. My mother thinks that I should not have it in the house but I see it differently ...

I eat Sunbutter at the table when Madeleine is eating her breakfast. When Madeleine asks to try my toast (and she always asks) I explain that I am not eating peanut and she should not be afraid. I then also explain to her that I do not want to give it to her because she should never eat anything that even looks like peanut butter.

The reality is that she will be sitting next to peanut-butter-toting kids at lunch, at the park, at the gym, wherever ... it's happened twice already! She needs to be able to recognize that risk and move away.

Gabs you pose a very fair question. I would certainly not view your concern about having Sunbutter in the house as over-reacting. It is difficult to over-react when dealing with severe food allergy.

You have to do what works for you.

Anonymous said...

You can buy sunbutter at the IGA on Broadway between Maple and Arbutus...no specialty store needed! (I'm assuming you're from Vancouver, given your reference to Stongs). Also easy to find and amazing are Dare's "simple pleasures baked cookie bars" - completely nut free and a nice alternative from the super sugary nut-free Quaker granola bars. I only deal with a nut allergy though, so you'd want to check with respect to eggs. Happy eating!